Monday, January 18, 2010

Sol Hashemi




Sol Hashemi

Work from Study for 'The Natural Landscape', Five Plastic Tablecovers, and Eight Bottles of Champagne

"Leaving my studio, I get in a car. I drive to the nearby IKEA with the sole purpose of picking up free furniture brochures. I make it out with a twenty-pound stack. I spend two weeks cutting free the hundreds of chairs, sofas, and tables; all the while searching for the materials that will be their new home. A slab of granite or a piece of wood can become a landscape upon which a creature, made of these brochures, can be glued. A new object has been created from a series of events. Is it merely the final outcome of a process or is it something with a life of it's own; something even able to converse?" – Sol Hashemi

No comments:

Post a Comment