Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Alana Celii







Alana Celii

Work from her oeuvre.

"A lot of my ideas come about through happenstance. I typically shoot first without thinking too much about my ideas, and edit later. Editing is a large part of my process. I saw Jason Fulford speak a long time ago, and he said that he cut up his contact sheets into mini trading cards. I think that was the most important piece of information I learned throughout college.
I feel that within all my works the themes that tie them together are archiving, memory, beauty, and Americana. To a degree, all of my projects have been a variation on a theme. My thesis focused on a nonlinear narrative that explored my own personal experience with adolescent discovery, truth and memory within photography, and also family myth. I am attracted to kitsch, and finding what is ignored, and making it beautiful. The last project I put on my website, called Family Archive, are images from my 110 camera and other point-and-shoots that I recently unearthed and organized. I have this constant desire to reveal what is secret or personal, and share it." - Alana Celii via Nyphoto interview

No comments:

Post a Comment