Thursday, February 12, 2009

Elizabeth Raymer Griffin




Elizabeth Raymer Griffin

Work from Tacking, Rigging, and Weighting and Lifejackets. All prints are 4x5 contact prints (or several of them).

Check out her video collaboration with Matt Griffin.

"I am concerned with breaking patterns. In my work, I explore personal pathologies, both inherited and invented. I spend a tremendous amount of time analyzing my motivations, tendencies, and weaknesses. Self-portraiture is a therapeutic self-examination where I play-out the process of struggling to live my life without abnormal levels of guilt, anxiety, and fear. I photograph myself as various internal characters to act out psychological meanderings, memories, intrinsic dramas and attempts at personal growth and change. I have always been aware of and reliant on the intuitive power of the self-portrait to reveal and influence my behaviors.
Many of the evocative props are tied to the interests-turned obsessions of my grandmother (collecting, but not using, sewing materials), my father (building a fully functional wooden sailboat, but never sailing it) and me (making thousands of self-portraits, most of which are kept to myself). I am attempting to make connections between our common temperaments and tendencies. Through my photographs I am trying to understand and harness these symbols of a creative life unfulfilled: a boat that lies like a rotting carcass in a shed, a stack of patterns, fabrics, and buttons in a corner of a damp basement and boxes upon boxes of unseen photographic performances."

No comments:

Post a Comment